I have previously blogged about the lung disease danger to workers in the microwave popcorn manufacturing industry exposed to diacetyl, a food flavoring. Now there is a story reporting that eating microwave popcorn may potentially cause obstructive lung disease.
Because Wisconsin is one of a handful of states where microwave popcorn is manufactured, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter Raquel Rutledge has been following the connection between worker exposure to the food flavoring diacetyl and the disproportionate occurrence in this population of the serious and irreversible disease bronchiolitis obliterans. Her story about the newest concern, that all of us who eat microwave popcorn could be at risk, will surely draw some attention.
For more information on this subject matter, please refer to the section on Defective and Dangerous Products.