08172017Headline:

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

HomeWisconsinMilwaukee

Email David Lowe David Lowe on Avvo
David Lowe
David Lowe
Attorney • (414) 727-2200

Stronger Warning Issued to Parents Over Magnetic Toys

Comments Off

I wrote last November about a recall of Polly Pocket magnetic toys, which were being swallowed and injuring children.

Now, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a stronger warning to parents about children swallowing magnetic toys in the wake of reports of hundreds of emergency room visits by children, many requriing surgery, and one death caused by ingestion of parts from these toys.

According to the CPSC release:

If two or more magnets, two or more magnet components, or a magnet and another metal object are swallowed separately, they can attract to one another through intestinal walls. When this happens, parents and physicians may think that the materials will pass through the child. But with magnets this is often not the case. The magnets become trapped in the body and can twist or pinch the intestine, causing holes, blockage and infection in the intestine or blood poisoning. All of which can lead to death.

CPSC has prepared a safety alert on the hazard posed by small magnets.

An additional 4 million units of the Magnetix magnet building toys have now been recalled by Mega Brands, Inc.